Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Other Artists

Martin J Walker 


About Martin J Walker

I was newly thrown out of Hornsey College of Art, in 1968, when I rang my mother to tell her I had a job working with Heroin addicts. ‘Oh’, she said fumbling, ‘but it’s not art is it?’ No, it wasn’t art, but at that time in line with contemporary cultural thinking, I adopted a very liberal definition. Up until the age of nineteen and the occupation at Hornsey I hadn’t conceived of anything else besides painting and drawing in my life. From the occupation onward, I saw ‘Art’ as self-indulgent. In fact, it became a secret vice which was stronger than me and throughout my life I have not actually been able to stop producing it. My ‘art’ has included, photography, poster design and printing, ceramics, the odd painting, woodcuts, some collage work a few drawings and some computer graphics. My consistent output between 1974 and 1993 of political posters are in the Victoria and Albert Museum and my theatre posters for the Half Moon Theatre are in the University of London Theatre Museum. A wide range of my work is in the International Institute of Social History in Amsterdam. Now, in my late fifties, I look at the artwork of my closest friend and wish that I had stayed at it and become an Artist. ‘No’, I might now have said to my mum, ‘nothing else, is art, is it?’
























James Torlakson

About James Torlakson

I am best known for my Photo Realist watercolors, oils, and etchings which are housed in numerous museum collections (see resume at www.jamestorlakson.com ). Over the years I have created a number of politically oriented pieces relating to war and the environment.

On March 15, 2004, my twenty-one year old daughter, Elizabeth died via an SSRI antidepressant (Celexa) “suicide”. I believe she was murdered by Forest Laboratories, Inc., who suppressed the information regarding the lethal nature of Celexa.

Since then, I have dedicated my creative endeavors to the memory of Elizabeth and the growing efforts to end the global Pharmaceutical Nightmare and Corporate Inhumanity.

Academic Training: San Francisco State University 1973 - 1974

Painting / Printmaking M. A.

California College of Arts and Crafts 1969 - 1973

General Fine Arts B. F. A. (with high distinction)

Teaching: Professor, City College of San Francisco






































Colin Downes-Grainger 



ABOUT COLIN DOWNES GRAINGER

I went into a life on hold at the age of 25 when I became an iatrogenic victim of tranquillisers and many other consequent mind drugs. I came out of that chill at the age of 55 through personal discovery. So much for medical expertise in the use of drugs which I discovered were only supposed to be prescribed for a month at most including withdrawal.

I became a Primary teacher in 1972 and did Art as a main course. This followed years as a civil servant, local government officer, bus conductor and many temporary jobs – you can do that in London. That lasted until I was 38 in 1985 when the effects of polypharmacy finally caught up with me.

Anyway having struggled my way off the drugs, as you do, I moved into campaigning on the issue of benzodiazepines and other prescribed mind altering nostrums. I quickly discovered that health provision was about politics primarily and not health benefit, which was a side-effect if it occurred. I felt this message should be disseminated as widely as possible and I do this through images and print. But an image in the right place is worth a million words.

Like many other victims of tranquillisers I am never going to recover from the social and health effects that come with the addiction but I do my best to prevent others falling into the trap.
























































































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment